What the heck is a quesadilla? I hear you cry, or not, you probably already know and if you do, then you will know that a quesadilla is a Mexican snack consisting of a flour tortilla (or wrap as we call them over here), filled with various ingredients and fried until crispy on the outside. They are SO quick and easy to put together and cook and take just 15-20 minutes from prep to the table. They are light and not overly filling and you can fill them with whatever you have in the fridge that takes your fancy.
Traditionally, they are filled with Mexican goodies such as cheese and refried beans, along with chilli, avocado and other vegetables and they are fried, but me being me, I like to mix things up a little bit and although I have some great recipes for more traditional quesadillas, this particular one is for a delicious Chinese inspired one. I use cooked chicken pieces in mine and I also cheat with the Hoisin sauce (a delicious five spice Chinese sticky sauce), using the bottled version.
You might also notice that I cook my quesadillas in the oven not in the frying pan, you can do either, I just prefer the crisp you get from the oven… Don’t be tempted to brush oil or butter on the wraps, it won’t need them to crisp up and will only make them soggy and quite frankly rather unhealthy…!
Also, you can make it with or without the chicken so I’ve also included it in the Vegetarian Section. And for those of you out there who like a bit of heat, simply add some chopped chilli to the mix…
So, here we go, this recipe will serve 1 person, to serve more, double the recipe.
- 2 flour tortillas (use white or grain)
- 100g cooked chicken
- 3 stalks baby corn
- 2 spring onions
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 mushrooms (oyster if you can)
- 1/2 sweet pointed red pepper
- 50g bean sprouts
- Fresh ginger (a piece about the size of your index fingernail)
- 1 teaspoon Chinese Five Spice powder
- 1 tablespoon Hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Heat your oven to Fan 180C/200C/Gas Mark 5.
- Chop your vegetables into small pieces (apart from the bean sprouts, you can leave these whole), pop them all together into a small mixing bowl and add the soy sauce. Chop the chicken and leave it separate from the vegetables in another bowl and sprinkle the five spice powder over the top.
- In a frying pan, heat the oil and add the vegetables. Stir fry for 3-5 minutes until soft and add the chicken. Keep stirring and add the Hoisin sauce.
- When the whole mixture is thoroughly heated through, take it off of the heat and spread half the mixture onto half a wrap and fold it over, doing this twice and laying both folded tortillas side by side on the baking sheet. I twill look like you have 2 half moon wraps on your sheet.
- Pop the baking sheet into the oven and leave to cook for 5 minutes, watching carefully to ensure the wraps don’t burn, as soon as they turn golden brown, remove them from the oven, flip them over and do the same thing on the other side.
- Remove from the oven and cut into slices.
- Serve with a rice salad or on it’s own – yum!